Friday, June 7, 2013

The Greatest Joke Ever Told



Family and Friends
 
 
No big deal or anything but I LEAVE TO AFRICA IN A WEEK AND I GOT MY TRAVEL PLANS. We leave Monday at 5:30 pm (so parents, expect a call around 3:30 I am thinking) and land in Paris the Morning of the eleventh. Then we have a flipping 8 hour layover in Paris (kill me now) then we leave that night and fly STRAIGHT DOWN. hola. I get in at 8:40 AM (their time) the morning of the 12th. Longest flight of my life but it could be worse.
 
Ah. This week was awesome. Idk why but it was just a super good week. I shall now write some of the highlights of my week so that you may better understand.
 
One, I played kickball this week! Which we all know is super outside of my box and I cannot tell a lie, it caused me some anxiety. But then all the elders in the whole zone were like "Edwards! Edwards! Edwards!" and can you say no to that? I daresay, no you cannot. So I played and not to brag or anything but I got a home run (definitely my greatest athletic acheivemnt ever, no big deal). I also struck out (is that the correct term?) but that is besides the point! The point is that I played and conquered my fear and am pretty much a professional now AND I got a ton of compliments on my yellow nikes.
 
I also told the greatest joke ever been told in the history of the MTC. (It's a fact, I checked.) We were popcorn teaching a teacher (where one companionship starts and then another one has to jump in) and it was our turn and I said "oh no! I am not ready!" then Smart-Alec Elder Haggard said "But is the spirit ready?" and I said, without missing a beat, "Yes. Much like five dollar pizza, the spirit is always ready." It was only so funny because the MTC is a pressure cooker and so every emotion we feel is magnified ten times and we are all starved for entertainment but we laughed for a good minute. I was on one this week- I cracked jokes left and right but then an elder told me he "loved my sass" and I felt awkward.
 
Oh! Also I was in line for lunch on Friday and this older sister behind me said something and so I turned around and began talking with her and she tells me her and her husband are serving in the Marshall Islands! So of course I freak out (and I am pretty sure I almost gave this sweet old lady a heart attack) and told her my brother served there and loved it and how the missionaries there get so close to the senior couples and how he works here now and loves it. And she asked his name and I said "Elder Edwards" and she said "How funny, I am related to some Edwards" and we talk some more and turns out Grandpa (my grandpa, Wayne) is her uncle! Now family history has never been my strong point but if my math is correct, we are related! So she gave me a big hug and we took a picture together. It was really sweet.
 
Also! I was sitting in class and Elder Castillo (not in my district but probably one of my favorite elders) came in and was like sister Edwards get over here! So I ran out and their WHOLE district had made a tunnel with their arms (like moms would do for soccer games) and they were like "run through it! we did this just for you because we love you and are so grateful for your jokes and your presence." Can you say sweetest thing ever? It seems so simple but it really made my day.
 
Also! We had a water chugging contest and I totally won. Granted, half of it was on my shirt or in the trashcan but that is okay! Elder Sanchez recorded the whole thing... I must find that video and destroy it immediately.
 
We got new girls in our room! Those lucky ducks are English speaking and therefore get to sleep till 6:30 every morning. But it is okay. Poor things cried the whole first night. I say poor things but I really mean I am angry at them for keeping me awake. I am totally kidding, my heart really did go out to them.
 
I don't know what else to say! I am nervous to leave the MTC but excited as well. I am trying to use my time as wisely as possible so that I may better serve my Lord. But it can be hard to focus when we are all friends. The French is okay, but I am excited to be in the field where I will learn it faster. The food here continues to be rachet but the spirit continues to be strong. Oh! We had the coolest fireside yesterday. Some old man (Ted Gibbons) used the whole stage and just acted out events in church history from the point of view of Dr. Richards, who was one of Joseph Smiths dear friends and was with him when he and Hyrum died in Carthage. It was such a testimony strengthener to me that Joseph Smith was and IS a prophet. God the Father and the Son really did appear to him and we do have the true church back on this earth. I have taken that for granted most of my life. But I am making the goal right now to thank my Father in Heaven at least once a day that we know the truth. I love this gospel.
 
I still cannot believe this is my last full Monday at the MTC. We did initiatories at the temple today and I realized how much I will miss it! I love the temple and (if you ever tell anyone this I will deny it) I really do love the MTC. It has taken all the things I am bad at (humilty and patience to name a few) and forced me to change. And it has taken the few things I am okay at (talking to others and making friends) and helped me to increase those talents. It is not about me. And that is the hardest thing to remember. It is not about where I WANT to go on my mission or what language I WANT to speak or which companions I WANT to have. And it's not even about how much success I WANT. Although that seems like a woth while thing to strive for, it is what the Lord wants. It is what He has always wanted. I am literally here, not to speak French, not to say the things I want, not to DO the things I want, but to be a vessicle for His work. I think I am starting to maybe grasp one tenth of one percent of the Atonement and what that means for all of us. What that means for me. What that means for my Investigators, who are nothing more or less than LITERAL children of God. I want nothing more than to become less selfish, less self centered, less self aborbed and to turn outward to others in love, service and compassion as my Savior did and continues to do.
 
Well that's all for now folks. Oh yeah, and if your name is Chyenn Way YOU BETTER HURRY AND WRITE TO ME WHAT KIND OF FRIEND DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? love ya.
 
I think I have another Pday on Saturday before I leave. But even if I don't, the chruch is still true. It is my goal to always be true to the church.
 
Souer Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment